As secretariat for multiple standards projects, ASSE organizes the committees that develop and maintain the standard(s), ensures that the process of revision is timely and in accordance with ANSI procedures, and publishes the final product of the consensus process.
ASSE serves as secretariat for the following committees, developing the indicated standards:
Safety Requirements for Construction and Demolition Operations, A10
Protection of Floor and Wall Openings, A1264
- Safety Requirements for Workplace Walking/Working Surfaces & Their Access, ANSI/ASSE A1264.1-2007
- Standard for the Provision of Slip Resistance on Walking/Working Surfaces, ANSI/ASSE A1264.2-2006
Motor Vehicle Safety, Z15
- Safe Practices for Motor Vehicle Operations, ANSI/ASSE Z15.1-2006
Confined Spaces, Z117
- Safety Requirements for Confined Spaces, ANSI/ASSE Z117.1-1995 (for historical purposes only)
- Safety Requirements for Confined Spaces, ANSI/ASSE Z117.1-2003
Control of Hazardous Energy – Lockout/Tagout and Alternative Methods, Z244
Fall Protection, Z359
Safety, Health and Environmental Training, Z490, Z390
Competence and Certification in the Safety Profession, Z590
- Criteria for Establishing Levels of Competence in Certification in the Safety Profession, ANSI/ASSE Z590.1 (under development)
- Criteria for Establishing the Scope and Functions of the Professional Safety Position, ANSI/ASSE Z590.2-2003
- Prevention through Design: Guidelines for Addressing Occupational Risks in Design and Redesign Processes, ANSI/ASSE Z590.3-2011
- Z590.3 Tech Brief
USTAG on Fall Protection
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) accredited the U.S. Technical Advisory Group (TAG) on Fall Protection in October 1999 with ASSE designated as the TAG Administrator. The U.S. TAG consists of over 20 entities with an interest in fall protection, including governmental agencies, users of fall arrest systems, professional societies representing safety professionals, manufacturers of fall arrest equipment, and employers of those who use the equipment. The U.S. TAG develops recommendations for the U.S. position on international fall protection standards developed by the ISO Technical Committee 94 Subcommittee 4. The official vote on such standards is cast by ANSI, which is the U.S. voting representative to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
For more information on the U.S. TAG on Fall Protection, visit www.ustag.org/fallprotection.
USTAG on Risk Management
ASSE serves as the U.S. TAG to the new ISO Technical Management Board Working Group (ISO/TMB/RM) on Risk Management.
Voting ISO countries approved the creation of this standards project during 2003-2004. The U.S. TAG for Risk Management will use a consensus process to notify ANSI of how the U.S. should vote and comment to ISO (as ANSI is the voting organization for the U.S.) and will develop the ISO 31000 series of risk management standards.
For more information on the U.S. TAG for Risk Management, visit http://www.ustag.org/riskmanagement.