July 26, 2001
The Honorable Edward M. Kennedy, Senator
Chairman, Senate Committee on Health, Education
Labor and Pensions
SR-315 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510-2101
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF LABOR FOR OSHA
Dear Chairman Kennedy:
As you are aware from previous correspondence, the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), is the oldest and largest society of safety professionals in the world. Founded in 1911, ASSE represents almost 33,000 dedicated safety professionals. We pride ourselves on our dedication to excellence, expertise, and commitment to the protection of people, property, and environment on a world-wide basis.
The Society is vitally and substantively interested in the pending confirmation of Mr. John Henshaw as the Assistant Secretary of Labor for the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, (OSHA). ASSE is very pleased to have learned that a member of our Society has been nominated, and we endorse his confirmation as the head of OSHA.
John Henshaw is a highly regarded member of ASSE, and has been active in promoting initiatives to enhance occupational safety and health and the practice of the profession in the United States. In brief, some of his accomplishments are:
- Is a highly respected safety professional who has dedicated time and resources to effective and efficient occupational safety and health and programs.
- Historically active in professional organizations with the mission of trying to ensure that safety, health, and environmental (SHE) policy, at the state and national level, is based on good science and sound technology.
- Active involvement in professional activities where he serves as a mentor and role model.
- Is well respected by his peers in the safety profession, because of his integrity, dedication, and professional knowledge, which are beyond reproach.
- Significant professional experience in working with a wide variety of stakeholders and colleagues to implement effective occupational safety and health management programs.
Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. If we may be of further assistance to elaborate upon our endorsement of John Henshaw as the Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA, please do not hesitate to contact Tom Bresnahan, ASSE Deputy Executive Director, at 847/768-3402.
M.E. "Eddie" Greer, CSP
ASSE President, 2001-2002
United States House of Representatives
United States Senate
Labor Secretary Elaine Chao
ASSE Board of Directors
ASSE Council on Professional Affairs
ASSE Governmental Affairs Committee
ASSE Contact List
Click here to go
back to the ASSE Correspondance, Statement, and Testimony page.