Outstanding Safety Educator Award
The Dr. William E. Tarrants Outstanding Safety Educator Award, sponsored by ASSE and PPG Industries Inc., is presented annually to recognize exemplary achievements in Safety, Health and Environmental (SH&E) education. The award recognizes exceptional educators who show the highest level of achievement in SH&E teaching, scholarship, and professional service as part of ASSE.
Named for Dr. William E. Tarrants, a pioneer in safety education who was also an ASSE President and Fellow, this award is among the Society’s highest honors. Final selection of the Outstanding Safety Educator Award is determined by the ASSE Technical and Professional Recognition Committee.
The recipients of this prestigious award have dedicated their time to creating a challenging and relevant education for their students, work to get their students involved in ASSE's student chapters, and contribute to safety-related research.
To be eligible for the Tarrants, a nominee must:
- Be actively engaged as a full-time faculty member (assistant professor or above) in a SH&E (or closely-related) program.
- Be a Professional Member of ASSE in good standing for at least three years prior to this nomination.
- Show evidence of five years’ successful teaching experience in a tenure-track position.
- Not have been elected Fellow.
Past Outstanding Safety Educator Award Recipients:
- 2002 Dr. Lon H. Ferguson
- 2003 Mark A. Friend
- 2004 Paul Specht
- 2005 Joel M. Haight
- 2006 Charles W. McGlothlin, Jr.
- 2008 James D. Ramsay
- 2009 Wayne D. Jones
- 2012 Todd William Loushine
- 2013 Hamid Fonooni
- 2013 Richard F. Sesek
January 1st by mail
January 7th electronically