Membership in Safety Professionals & the Latino Workforce (SPALW) is open to all ASSE members.
- To provide an arena for safety professionals who have a common interest to discuss, research, develop and implement new suggestions, ideas and recommendations for issues related to the Latino workforce
- To offer important and valuable networking experience whereby individuals interested in safety efforts for the Latino workforce can support each other
- To share and learn from one another using ASSE resources
- To provide one-on-one support through a mentoring program in both English and Spanish
- To embrace our nation's richness and ethnic diversity and to address issues of safety and cultural diversity, language, customs and traditions among different ethnic groups
- To minimize and control accidents and fatalities
While workplace accidents nationwide are slowly decreasing, accidents among the Latino workforce are on the rise. Reasons for this increase include:
- Misunderstanding of the cultural gap
- Communication barriers
- Inappropriate safety training for the Latino workforce
SPALW meets annually at ASSE’s Professional Development Conference. These meetings are open to all who attend the Professional Development Conference. SPALW also meets monthly via teleconference (contact the current Chair for details).