Bookmark and Share

Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Resources

Federal officials say the general public should first call 911 if they witness a hazardous material (hazmat) emergency such as a transportation crash involving vehicles carrying hazmats. If it is possible without putting oneself in danger, report the size and markings of the vehicle, specifically the color of the placards and identification number. Please note the following organizations that have important information on hazmats:

National Response Center (NRC) - The NRC is the national point of contact for reporting all chemical, radiological, and etiological discharges into the environment anywhere in the U.S. and its territories. Employers are required to notify the NRC whenever reportable quantities of hazmats are spilled or released into the environment. The NRC is never closed, operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. Contact them at: 1-800-424-8802

National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health's (NIOSH) Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards: Information for employers/employees. Available online at or by calling 202-512-1800, the U.S. Superintendent of Documents.

U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA) Hazmat Standard 29 CFR 1910.120 (q) Emergency Responders and Hazardous Waste Operations

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - The EPA works with businesses, and state and local authorities to make sure hazmats are properly treated and disposed of and oversees cleanup of hazardous waste sites. The EPA maintains a Complete Index of Chemical References.

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission

U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) for information on the clean-up processes and needs.
The American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) provides technical publications, training courses, seminars on these issues as well as having transportation and environmental practice specialty sections. Information can be found at, or by calling 847-699-2929.