9th Annual ASSE Kids SAFETY-ON-THE-JOB 2011 Poster Contest Rules for Children Aged 5-14
Contest runs from Monday, September 19, 2010 through Monday, February 14, 2011 (Valentine’s Day!)
Celebrating North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week May 1-7, 2011 and Occupational Safety and Health Professional Day May 4, 2011
Please read and follow all the rules carefully so that all posters/drawings will be eligible. The posters that best illustrate Safety on the Job will be selected as winners out of each of the five age groups. Before the children begin drawing, we urge you to talk to them about your job and workplace safety and provide examples of what risks occupational safety, health and environmental professionals address every day on the job, and if possible, provide them with examples of workplace situations. Visit www.asse.org/naosh for examples of children's workplace safety posters and ASSE's "Safety Through the Decades" timeline. Have fun and, as they say in the in the Wild, Wild, West, "Draw Partner!” Also, we hope to see you at our annual poster contest awards ceremony in Washington, D.C, May 2, 2011!
POSTER CONTEST RULES
- Entry is open to ASSE members' children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews between the ages of 5 and 14. Chapters and members can also sponsor schools and students from their communities, from their workplace, etc. There are five age categories with a first, second, third and fourth place winner from each age category which are: 1) ages 5-6; 2) ages 7-8; 3) ages 9-10; 4) ages 11-12; and, 5) ages 13-14. Children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews of ASSE employees may not enter.
- The poster drawing must relate to the theme ‘Safety-on-the-Job’ and should illustrate an example of Safety on the Job/being safe at work. As you know, the description of workplace is all-encompassing -- it can be at an office, a manufacturing plant, on the road, in a plane, on a train, a ship, a dock, at home, on the football field, at a store, a fire or police department, construction sites, state capitols, parks, pools, schools, etc. Encourage your children to be creative.
- The finished poster must be no larger than 11" x 14". Drawings should be submitted on heavy paper or poster illustration board. Crayons, magic markers or color pencils only should be used. Those larger than 11” x 14” will be disqualified.
- Only one entry per child will be allowed. Parents/sponsors are limited to verbal assistance only. All drawings must be an individual effort and be free-hand originals. No traced pictures please.
- Each poster must have an official poster contest entry form attached on the back. All information on the entry form must be filled out.
- All entries MUST be postmarked by Monday, February 14, 2011. All entries become the property of ASSE once submitted. Send posters to:
ASSE/NAOSH Kids' ‘Safety-on-the-Job' Poster Contest
ASSE Public Relations Department
1800 E. Oakton Street
Des Plaines, IL 60018
- Criteria for judging---creativity and how well the poster expresses the contest theme ‘Safety-on-the-Job’.
- Winning posters will be announced in March 2011. A panel of independent judges will choose the winners.
- Prizes will be awarded to each winner. The first place winner in each age group will receive a $5,000 savings bond, the second place winners receive a $500 savings bond and the third and fourth place winners each receive a $200 savings bond for U.S. entries. International winners will receive a comparable prize. All entrants receive a small prize.
- All poster contest winners, entrants and their families and ASSE members are invited to attend the ASSE kids' 'Safety-on-the-Job' poster contest awards ceremony, NAOSH kick-off and reception to be held Monday, May 2 in Washington, D.C. Details about the Washington, D.C. events and other NAOSH national kick-off activities for the poster contest entrants, their families, supporters and members will be announced in early 2011. We hope to see you there!
Visit ASSE’s website www.asse.org/naosh for the latest poster contest information, applications, sample posters, NAOSH activities, news releases, photos, billboards and past winners.
If you have any questions please contact ASSE PR’s Pam Glinka at email@example.com or ASSE Customer Service at 847-699-2929, CustomerService@asse.org.