Eligibility to Reclassify to Professional Membership
The current criteria to qualify for professional membership are as follows:
Shall be a certified safety professional (CSP) or certified industrial hygienist (CIH) in good standing with the Board of Certified Safety Professionals or American Board of Industrial Hygiene, respectively, or
Shall hold an accredited certification from a body recognized by the Admissions Committee, hold a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university and shall have a minimum of 5 years in the aggregate professional safety, health and environmental experience, or
Shall be registered or licensed by a state agency as a professional engineer (P.E.), hold a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university and shall have a minimum of 5 years in the aggregate professional safety, health and environmental experience, or
Shall hold a doctorate level degree from an accredited college or university in a safety, health and environmental field recognized by the Admissions Committee and shall have a minimum of 5 years in the aggregate professional safety, health and environmental experience.
Thus, to obtain professional member status with ASSE, members must have one of the following certifications:
OR, one of the following certifications/licenses, along with a bachelor’s degree and 5 years of SH&E experience:
- Certified Health Physicist (CHP)
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- Certified Professional Environmental Auditor (CPEA)
- Chartered Member-IOSH (CMIOSH)
- Chartered Fellow-IOSH (CFIOSH)
- Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS)
- Certified Occupational Health Nurse-Specialist (COHN-S)
- Certified Occupational Health Nurse (COHN)
- Occupational Health and Safety Technologist (OHST)
- Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST)
- Certified Safety Health Manager (CSHM)
- CPE (Certified Professional Ergonomist)
- CHFP (Certified Human Factors Professional)
- CUXP (Certified User Experience Professional)
OR must have a doctorate level degree in an SH&E field and 5 years of SH&E experience.
Reclassify Your Membership
To reclassify your membership follow the link below. By clicking on the link, you will add a membership application to your online shopping cart. Access the application by selecting it from your shopping cart. At the top of the application you will then select the "Reclassification" option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I hold a certification outside of the list currently recognized by ASSE. Can this certification be considered to be recognized for professional membership?
A: The ASSE Admissions Committee is continually reviewing credentials for consideration for Professional Membership. If you would like a credential to be considered, please submit it to Micah D'Orazio, Director, Member/Region Affairs.
Q: If I do not reclassify, how does this impact me as a safety professional and ASSE member?
A: Professional membership is a mark of distinction in ASSE and the profession. In addition to this recognition, there exist requirements for holding office in the Society that require professional membership (e.g., Board of Directors, practice specialty administrators, etc.).