ASSE Global Membership Value and Benefits
- Professional network of 35,000 safety professionals
ASSE is the oldest Professional Society representing approximately 35,000 individual safety, health and environmental (SH&E) practitioners from over 80 countries. Membership allows fellow SH&E professionals to work together to advance their professional career and status as a safety professional, improve their company’s safety performance and advance the overall SH&E profession through:
- Face-to-face events including chapter meetings, the annual Professional Development Conference and Exposition, local symposia and seminars
- Online networking can be conducted in many ways:
- The Society’s Member only area includes an online searchable membership directory that allows members to locate and contact other members either locally or globally.
- ASSE is involved in social media for providing members with more networking opportunities including groups on LinkedIn, Facebook, NING, Twitter, Blogs and more.
- Chapters and Society Sections and Regional conferences provide members with local opportunities to build relationships, leadership opportunities, and exchange ideas and concerns with peers in a particular country or region.
- ASSE India Chapter was created on March 4, 2012 in the city of Chennai. Since then, it has been growing rapidly and serving its members’ needs by organizing face-to-face and virtual meetings and seminars. Getting engaged at the chapter level offers ASSE India members the chance to become a leader serving as a volunteer member of a committee, task force or chapter board to influence the development of the profession.
- Professional Safety Journal
Professional Safety journal is ASSE’s top-ranked member benefit. Professional Safety is the industry premier monthly publication and it is available to global members in electronic format on-line. The journal keeps safety professionals on top of the latest trends, best practices around the globe, research, regulations and so much more. Each issue contains peer-reviewed technical articles, best practice and leadership articles, interviews with industry insiders, updates on rules and regulations, safety and business book reviews, new product innovations and information on SH&E events.
- Through ASSE’s online archive, members can access articles dating back to 2000. In addition, digital editions of Professional Safety are available dating back to July 2009. The digital edition offers the same content and design as the hard copy, plus it can be searched by keyword, title, author, advertiser and more. Readers can click on interactive links to easily access additional information and contact advertisers, or save the PDF for offline viewing—features that save time and make the journal an even more effective tool for today’s safety professionals.
- Education and Professional Development
The American Society of Safety Engineers has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, ASSE has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of the Authorized Provider accreditation status, ASSE is authorized to offer IACET CEUs (continuing education units) for its educational programs.
ASSE members have an opportunity to expand their education and maintain their professional credentials through:
- Participation at annual events such as:
- the Professional Development Conference & Exposition (PDC) at a discounted rate. The annual industry-leading PDC provides professional presentations, panel discussions, technical tours and expert guidance. It is also one of the best networking opportunities in the SH&E field globally. In 2012 ASSE hosted more than 4,000 participants from 30 countries. Members receive a free download of the proceedings from the annual Professional Development Conference each year.
- SeminarFest, Safety Symposia and certification preparation workshops - members enjoy exclusive membership discounts (save $20 to $140 per event)
- Monthly webinars/virtual learning opportunities - every month, ASSE delivers live webinars from experts in the field of safety. These live webcasts are a way to interact with the experts while learning about new approaches to managing safety. Members can also listen to the audio recordings of some of the past events whenever it is convenient for them either through the ASSE site or the iTunes store.
- Certificate programs for additional education needs including a Certificate in Safety Management and the Executive Program in Safety Management.
- Onsite training programs are available for members on demand.
- Members receive a free download of the proceedings from the annual Professional Development Conference each year.
- SH&E Body of Knowledge database
The ASSE Body of Knowledge (the BOK) is the collected wisdom, experience, processes, and facts that both inform the profession and provide the solid foundation from which continuous improvements and innovative changes can occur. The BOK builds upon the success of many resources, and makes them available in a searchable, interactive database. The BOK project is ongoing, and the Society is looking forward to members’ contributions. Current members receive full access to all BOK information.
- Practice Specialties and Common Interest Groups
ASSE has created groups for professionals with a specific area of expertise, common experiences and problem solving tactics for 17 specialties to choose from, including:
- Academics, Construction, Consultants, Engineering, Environmental, Ergonomics, Fire Protection, Healthcare, Industrial Hygiene, International, Management, Manufacturing, Mining, Oil and Gas, Public Sector, Risk Management/Insurance and Transportation. Branches under selected Practice Specialties include: Agricultural, Health & Wellness, Human Resources, Legal Services, Military Service, Training and Communications and Utilities.
- Using the latest digital publishing technology, ASSE now provides its practice specialty newsletters in a new interactive, full-color format providing over 30 pages of valuable content three times a year! Internal navigation, page-turning tools and external links to web resources help members make the most of their reading time. Plus, members can easily contact practice specialty leadership and authors with built-in e-mail connections.
- Each Practice Specialty is available to members for only $20 USD. Branches are included with the appropriate Practice Specialty for free.
- ASSE members can participate in common Interest Groups provided for networking and safety and health and environmental problem-solving in a different structure for only $10 USD. Existing common interest groups include: Blacks in Safety Engineering, Safety Professionals and the Latino Workforce, Women in Safety Engineering and Young Professionals in SH&E.
- Technical Publications
ASSE provides a variety of technical publications that are essential for safety, health and environmental professionals. Publications are authored by ASSE members and others in the safety profession. Members save on each publication. For example:
- Safety Professionals Handbook is a must-have for every safety professional in the field. This reference for managing and improving safety, health and environmental (SH&E) programs is a collaboration of 1000 ASSE members and 300 authors, reviewers, editors and administrators.
- Journal of SH&E Research is an online peer-reviewed journal covering a wide variety of safety, health and environmental issues and practices. The audience is for both SH&E academics and practitioners.
ASSE is the secretariat for nine standards committees and serves on 40 other standards setting committees having an impact on over 100 standards, many of which are applicable globally. ASSE members serve as volunteer representatives on many of these committees.
- Leadership Opportunities
ASSE members contribute to shaping the future of the safety field by participating in task forces and committees, and working with other safety professionals on issues facing the industry today. Leaders also are provided opportunities to gain additional leadership skill training that assists them in their committee work as well as their job. Skills volunteer leaders gain include: leadership, management, networking, presentation, time management, team work, meeting, project skills and much more!
Many members have shared that they find greater significant personal career growth and concepts to improve their company’s safety performance through involvement in ASSE committees. Some committee examples include: standards development, Practice Specialty leadership, government affairs, professional development events, Professional Safety editorial review, technical publications, public relations, educational standards, body of knowledge development, recognition, chapter and region leadership and much more!
- Career Resources
ASSE career resources provide extensive support to members’ career advancement needs. NexSteps Job Board enables members to find the best candidates for a vacancy or new employment opportunities in the field. Members can post jobs at a discounted rate.
- Awards and Honors
ASSE recognizes members around the globe who dedicate their time and expertise to ensure a bright future for the safety profession. These awards include the Fellow Honor, Safety Professional of the Year, Practice Specialty, Region and Chapter Safety Professionals of the Year, Outstanding Safety Educator, Culbertson volunteer award, Diversity in the SH&E profession, Professional Paper award and much more!
- ASSE Foundation
The foundation generates funding and provides resources for scholarship, applied research, academic accreditation and related academic initiatives to advance the SH&E profession. In 2012, nearly $190,000 in scholarships and professional development grants have been made available.