Diversity in the SH&E Profession Award
To recognize an individual ASSE member for their commitment to the safety, health and environmental profession as it relates to supporting diversity initiatives and Society membership. Awards will be made without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, personal beliefs, age, gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, or physical challenges.
- 2012: Jitendra C. Patel, CPEA – Principal Senior Consultant - AcuTech Consulting Group
- 2011: Jennifer S. Zipeto, CSP -
Sr. Health and Safety Manager – Walt Disney World Resort
- 2010: Kelly Bernish, Manager of Safety and Health Operations for Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts
- 2009: Rixio Medina, Vice President of Health, Safety, Security and Environmental Protection, Citgo Petroleum Corp.
- 2008: Thomas Johnson, Safety Administrator, Georgia Department of Labor.
Diversity in the Safety, Health and Environmental Profession
Welcome Message/Mission Statement
Without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, personal beliefs, age, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or physical challenges the ASSE Diversity Committee provides advice and guidance to the Society to:
- Encourage an inclusive and diverse membership, leadership and staff
- Promote a global culture of inclusion and cooperation.
- Address diversity related issues for the safety, health and environmental professional workforce
ASSE has established a Diversity Policy and invites you to read the policy.
Learn more about the diversity initiatives below including the diversity award, scholarship and the Society’s Common Interest Groups.
The Diversity Committee provides one scholarship award through the ASSE Foundation each year @ $1,000. This award is open to any individual regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, personal beliefs, age, sexual orientation, physical challenges, geographic location, university or specific area of study.
- 2013 Recipient
Slippery Rock University, Safety Management
- Past Recipients:
2012 - Alessandra Martinazzi, California State University-Fresno, Public Health with emphasis in Environmental/Occupational Health & Safety
2011 - Sara Hand, Slippery Rock University - Safety Management
2010 - Maggie Haverkamp, Murray State University – Occupational Safety & Health
2009 - Marc A. Squires, Millersville University - Occupational Safety Environmental Health
2008 - Joshua E. Kaylor,
Eastern Kentucky University - Safety Security & Emergency Management
- Donate to the Diversity Scholarship
The Diversity Scholarship is at 59% of its funding goal of $30,000 and needs your support to fully fund the scholarship program. Please be part of this unique initiative and consider an online donation. Be sure to mark “Other” and enter Diversity Scholarship on the form.
- Donate Online