PhD Fellowship Program Guidelines
Fellowship Eligibility and Requirements
The ASSEF PhD Fellowship program is only open to applicants who are citizens and permanent residents of the United States. All candidates are required to have attended a higher education program in the United States. Proof of citizenship or residence status and a copy of the diploma from a degree obtained in the US will be required upon final offer.
In order to apply for this fellowship, the applicant must have also applied and been accepted to each university and relevant PhD program. Fellowship applicants must be at or near the beginning of their doctoral education.
- Oregon State University’s PhD in Public Health with a concentration in Environmental and Occupational Safety and Health
- Applicants may have a background in either business or engineering (with an interest in environmental and occupational safety and health) or an environmental and occupational safety and health background (with an interest in business and engineering economic analysis).
- West Virginia University’s PhD in Occupational Safety and Health
- Applicants may have a background in occupational health, certain kinds of engineering, industrial hygiene or safety management, public health, the sciences such as chemistry or physics, among others.
Please see each fellowship application form for information required by each program.
To ensure that fellowship recipients enter the OSH field to undertake full-time teaching and researching as stipulated in program guidelines, payment will be made in the form of a conditional loan. For every full academic year the fellowship recipient teaches at a university in the United States in an OSH bachelor’s degree program or higher, one year of the loan will be forgiven. For example, if a fellowship recipient receives funding to attend Oregon State full-time for three years, he or she must teach at an institution for higher education for three academic years upon completion of the PhD for the entire loan to be forgiven. The fellow would be required to provide a photocopy of his or her contract to serve as evidence that he or she is teaching full-time at a university each year after earning the degree, for a period of three academic years.
- The OSU PhD in Public Health can be completed by a full-time student in three years. The fellowship recipient must be enrolled in the program for at least this length of time. The maximum contribution that will be made toward the fellow’s doctoral education will amount to no more than $18,000 per year. Payment will be made to the recipient on a per-quarter basis. A fully-paid fellowship would amount to $18,000 per year, for a period of 3 years amounting to a total value of $54,000.
- The WVU PhD in Occupational Safety and Health can be completed by a full-time student in four years. The fellowship recipient must be enrolled in the program for at least this length of time. The maximum Fellowship stipend will amount to no more than $18,000 a year for four years, amounting to a maximum value of $72,000. Payment will be made to the recipient on a per-semester basis. WVU has agreed to waive tuition for successful applicants.
Selected candidates will be required to sign an agreement in connection with this program. The terms and conditions of the loan documents will govern the relationship among the parties and supersede any terms and conditions in this notification.
Evaluation and Selection
Applicants will be evaluated based upon their acceptance status to the relevant program, professional history, research interests, and a personal statement expressing commitment to teaching occupational safety and health. If selected as a final candidate, the individual will be required to complete an interview either in-person or via telephone with appropriate program faculty.
Each program will recommend candidates to ASSEF for final approval. Selection of the candidates is at the sole discretion of OSU, WVU, and ASSEF with no right of appeal.
Please check with OSU and WVU for early decision and regular admission deadlines.