The James A. Oppold Fund
For Universities & Colleges Seeking ABET Accreditation of Safety & Health Programs
The James A. Oppold fund was established in memory of ASSE's Accreditation Board of Engineering Technology (ABET) Board representative James A. Oppold, CSP, Ph.D., of Raleigh, NC, who passed away in 2002. An ASSE member emeritus, Oppold, 70, was actively involved with ABET and ASSE, participating in the accreditation of university and college safety, health and environmental programs. Oppold served as director of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) in the state of North Carolina before retiring in 1992 as well as Director of the Safety Division, National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH).
To honor Oppold, the ASSE Foundation will provide funding to qualified universities seeking accreditation through the Applied Science Accreditation Commission (ASAC)/ABET.
To encourage and facilitate universities in obtaining ABET accreditation of their safety and health programs by providing near matching funds.
Amount of Grant(s)
Grants will not exceed $3,500 of the total accreditation process fee for initial accreditation and $1,750 or less for reaccreditation. Number of grants awarded in one year are contingent upon funds available.
The institution must.
- be accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education (i.e. CHEA & DETC)
- offer a bachelors, masters, or associate degree in an academic safety and health program administered and taught by qualified faculty whose competence is also evidenced by participation in professional societies and applicable certification issued by nationally accredited credentialing bodies;
- be seeking accreditation or reaccreditation in either a bachelors, masters, or associate degree program in occupational safety & health.
Only one degree program per institution shall be eligible.
Note: If funds are limited, the award of the grant will be based on the earliest post- marked date as well as other criteria including but not limited to:
- whether an active ASSE student section exists with a viable annual program,
- the student section has a faculty advisor, and
- a local ASSE chapter is affiliated with the student section
- Please send your request for funding in the form of a 1-2 page letter to Mary Goranson, ASSE Foundation, Attn: Accreditation, 1800 E. Oakton Street, Des Plaines, IL 60018.
- Grant requests should be postmarked no later than April 30, 2015
- The Foundation Board will review all applications by June 30, 2015
Site Visit Verification / Granting of Funds
The central criterion for obtaining this grant is based upon verification of the SITE VISIT being confirmed. Confirmation shall be provided to the ASSE Foundation Manager by the ASSE program evaluator on the site visit team or ASSE representative/alternate on the ABET Applied Sciences Accreditation Commission. A copy of the invoice and confirmation of the site visit dates should be provided to the Foundation Manager prior to the check being issued. The check will be sent to the office of the president/provost of the university with a cover letter signed by the ASSE Foundation Chair.
In the event the site visit is cancelled, the officers of the university or college shall agree to return the monies provided by the ASSE Foundation. The letter accompanying the check shall inform the institutions' officers of this caveat and their obligation to comply with it.