Bookmark and Share

OSHA Says Union Can Rep Employee in Walkarounds in Non-Union Workplaces

Posted in on Tue, May 21, 2013

On February 21, OSHA issued a guidance letter answering the question “whether workers at a workplace without a collective bargaining agreement may authorize a person who is affiliated with a union or a community organization to act as their representative under” the OSH Act, including “’representing the employee(s) as a personal representative’ and ‘accompanying the employee on an OSHA inspection’ in a non-unionized workplace’” and “whether, under these circumstances, the individual who is filing an OSHA complaint on behalf of an employee could act as a ‘walkaround representative’ during an OSHA inspection.”  The answer is yes.  The letter was made public in April.  You can find the letter

Get Involved

ASSE is committed to ensuring that any decision by federal or state government impacting the safety, health and environment of the workplace is based on good science and sound technology.

Get Involved in Government Affairs