Area Directors Candidate
Region IV - Mississippi/Alabama Area - Bob W. Fitzgerald, CSP, CHST
Bob Fitzgerald is the Manager of Project Safety and Health for Southern Company Operations Engineering and Construction Services (E&CS) located in Birmingham, Alabama.
Bob has thirty years’ experience in EHS Management. He works directly with the Southern Company Operations management team to provide EHS services and supervises over 35 EHS professionals.
Bob holds the CSP and CHST designations. He earned a BS in Environmental Science and a MPH in Occupational Health and Safety from the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
He is a Professional Member of the Alabama Chapters of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) and the American Industrial Hygiene
Association. He served as ASSE AL Chapter President from 2010-2013, Chapter Secretary in 2009, and Membership Chair in 2008. Accomplishments include:
- Led effort to increase Chapter growth - 57% from 2009 membership
- Led effort to re-establish Auburn University Student Section and establish UAB Student Section
- Helped achieve Chapter Star award as Chapter President three consecutive years (Chapter had not earned Star prior in its 75 year history)
- Recognition as Region IV “Most Improved Chapter” 2010-2011
- Chapter received Commendation from Alabama State Governor Robert Bentley, 2013
Bob is a member of the Safety Community of Practice with the Construction Industry Institute (CII) in Austin, Texas and serves on the National Safety Committees for NCCER, NACBE, AGC, ABC, CURT and CII. In 2008, Bob was selected as the Safety Professional of the Year by the Alabama Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
“Build it and they will come….” The mission of ASSE is to promote the advancement of the safety profession and to foster the professional well-being and development of its members. Simply put, my platform is to help the Chapters in our Area to recognize their opportunities and responsibilities to meet this mission. This can be achieved by leadership, vision, and passion for our work. The local Chapter is the backbone of this effort and I will work to assist the local leadership to grasp that vision. Additionally, as the Area Director for Alabama and Mississippi, I will:
- Work to be a resource to the local chapters in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Share information and best practices with the chapter officers.
- Provide a link between the local chapters, the region and the Society to keep the membership informed and ensure your concerns are known.
- Ensure each chapter has the tools they need to serve their membership for the continued growth of the chapters and the Society.
- Challenge each Chapter to think of new ideas and ways to grow and be innovative.
We have to realize that the “Build” part takes hard work…but we can do it. The “It” part is seeing the vision and setting the goals of what we want to achieve, and “They” are the hard working professionals that are looking for ways to improve their worksites and themselves.
Working together we can help ASSE continue to build on its successes in providing leadership in the safety profession and professional development opportunities for its members.