- What You Need To Know Prior To Certification
- Certification Flow Chart
- How ASSE Can Help You Maintain Certification
Prepare individuals for the Comprehensive Examination leading to certification as a CSP.
Preparation for the Board of Certified Safety Professionals' Safety Fundamentals Examination.
Intensive review of essential math skills.
Workshop is intended to assist you in preparation for the CHST examination.
Workshop will provide you with the potential areas that will be covered on the OHST certification examination.
* This is applicable to participants who attend our ASP, CSP, CHST and OHST workshops and sit for the exam within one year of attending. Not valid with chapter or regional workshops.
What you need to know prior to CHST certification
- Determine if you are eligible
- Complete and Send In Your Application and Forms
- Prepare for your Exam
- What happens when I take the exam(s)?
- I passed, now what?
1. Determine if you are eligible
Do I need to have a degree? You need a high school diploma or a GED.
Do I Have Enough Experience? CHST candidates should have three years of construction experience. Safety should be at least 35% of the primary job function.
You may substitute an associate’s or higher degree for one year of experience. You can substitute two years of experience with an ABET safety degree. The U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation both maintain websites that can help you find an accredited school, or to verify that your school is accredited.
What happens if my degree is not from the United States? BCSP requires that all degrees from colleges and universities outside the United States must be recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the U.S. Department of Education and the degree and courses must have been completed during the period in which the school holds the accreditation.
2. Complete and Send In Your Application and Forms
BCSP reviews application materials to determine your eligibility. BCSP will inform you if you are eligible for the OHST examination.
- CHST application form
- Experience form
- Two reference forms
- Application fee $140
- College transcripts if applicable
After you receive a notice that you are eligible to sit for the exam:
- Purchase an examination authorization $300, you then have 120 days to take the exam
- Receive your examination authorization letter with instructions
- Locate a Pearson VUE testing center and schedule your examination appointment via the web within eight weeks in advance
3. Prepare for your Exam
ASSE certification preparation workshops give you the best opportunity to pass your exam. We go the extra mile to help you succeed in passing the certification examinations. Our instructors are experts in their field, drawn from the academic and the professional community. They understand the complexity and scope of the examinations. We are so confident in our workshops, that if you take the OHST and do not pass, you can retake the same workshop for FREE*!
- Domain 1: Program Management
- Domain 2: Worksite Auditing
- Domain 3: Training
- Domain 4: Professional Responsibility
*If you take an examination applicable to the OHST three-day preparation workshops within one year of attending our workshop and do not pass, you can retake the same workshop for free. This is subject only to the workshop being offered and the workshop having the capacity for additional students. This offer is not valid to those attending chapter or regional workshops.
4. What happens when I take the exam?
Once you are declared eligible for the CHST exam, you must sit for the exam at least once every three years until achieving a passing score. The CHST examination has a four hour time frame of 200 multiple choice questions. After you take the examination, you will be notified of your unofficial examination results at the testing site.
After you pass your exam, in three weeks BCSP will mail a credentialing packet to you. If you do not pass, you can purchase a new examination authorization and will receive instruction from BCSP.
5. I passed, now what?
Congratulations! You've got it -- flaunt it. Here are a few ways to promote your certification:
- Always display your certificate prominently at your work place.
- Wear your certification lapel pin at work.
- Use your certification logos on your business cards, letterhead, and displays.
- Use your certification after your name or signature on letters, business cards and when you register for conventions and conferences.
Recertification: You must recertify every five years by earning 20 points and paying a $120 renewal fee to BCSP. One of the many ways to earn points is through ASSE. Along with your certificate, you will receive information on these requirements and on ways to help you fulfill them. Carefully choosing this continued education to fit your particular needs is the way to continued competence. Your ASSE membership, committee participation, presentation, published article and on-site and virtual professional development seminars can help maintain your certification.
- Continuing education points
- Workbooks for each seminar
- Beverage breaks (breakfast and lunch will be on your own)
Seminars begin promptly at 8:00AM and conclude at 4:30PM each day.
Class size is limited. Please contact ASSE before coming to determine if an opening is available.
Registrants canceling within 10 working days of the program will be refunded tuition less $100 fee. Registrants who do not cancel and do not attend the workshop will not have tuition refunded. A $25 processing fee will be charged for substitutions. ASSE reserves the right to cancel any workshop or seminar two weeks prior to presentation. ASSE reserves the right to substitute faculty should unforeseen events occur.
Whenever possible, arrangements will be made for special needs registrants provided ASSE receives 45 days advance notice. Please write a letter of explanation, your name and phone number, and attach to the registration form. ASSE will contact you.