How to Submit an Article
The Journal of Safety, Health and Environmental Research (JSHER) accepts theoretical and empirical papers committed to concepts, analytical models, strategy, technical tools and observational analyses that enhance the decision-making and operating action capabilities of SH&E practitioners and provides subject matter for academics.
JSHER is an on-line journal intended to be of interest to SH&E academics and to field practitioners concerned with safety, health and environmental science, emergency and disaster preparedness, fire and homeland security, corporate sustainability and resiliency, economic evaluation of SH&E programs or policies, risk-loss control, engineering and other legal aspects of the SH&E field.
Each submission to JSHER will be blind peer-reviewed by at least five reviewers. Submission of a manuscript to JSHER indicates that the effort expressed has not been published previously and that it is not currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
Manuscripts that are in agreement with the mission and scope of JSHER should be crafted carefully and professionally written. They should be submitted as an attachment within an e-mail message. Specifically, they should:
- be submitted as an MS Word file(s) with no author identifiers
- be 8-20 double-spaced pages with 1” margins all around (approximately 3,000-8,000 words, including references but not including illustrations, tables or figures, which are not included in the text)
- include a separate document with a title page indicating the title, co-authors and the person to whom correspondence should be directed, including that person’s name, title, employer, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address and a short (50-word) bio-sketch of each author indicating at least the author’s current position, highest degrees earned and professional certifications earned
- include an abstract of no more than 200 words, which states briefly the purpose of the research, the principal results and major conclusions, including a short list of key words
- include a reference section at the end of the manuscript, using APA Style to cite and document sources
- have pages numbered consecutively and new paragraphs clearly indicated
- document and acknowledge facts and figures
- present tables and figure legends on separate pages at the end of the manuscript but indicate where in the manuscript the table or figure should be placed
- ensure that graphics, such as figures and photos, are submitted as separate JPG or TIF files and are not embedded in the article text
- include introduction, methods, results and discussion sections (at a minimum) for empirical research
- have section headers (for all submission types) that describe the main content of that portion of the manuscript
Authors are requested to transfer copyright to the publisher.
All submissions should be e-mailed as an MS Word attachment to:
Sang D. Choi, Ph.D., CSP
Professor of OESH
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
3509 Hyland Hall
Whitewater, WI 53190
Phone: (262) 472-1641