Scope and Function
B. Develop hazard control methods, procedures and programs.
This function involves:
© Copyright 1996 American Society of Safety Engineers. All rights reserved.
- Formulating and prescribing engineering or administrative controls, preferably before exposures, accidents, and loss events occur, to :
- eliminate hazards and causes of exposures, accidents and loss events.
- reduce the probability or severity of injuries, illnesses, losses or environmental damage from potential exposures, accidents, and loss events when hazards cannot be eliminated.
- Developing methods which integrate safety performance into the goals, operations and productivity of organizations and their management and into systems, processes, operations or their components.
- Developing safety, health and environmental policies, procedures, codes and standards for integration into operational policies of organizations, unit operations, purchasing and contracting.
- Consulting with and advising individual and participating on teams
- engaged in planning, design, development and installation or implementation of systems or programs involving hazard controls.
- engaged in planning, design, development, fabrication, testing, packaging and distribution of products or services regarding safety requirements and application of safety principles which will maximize product safety.
- Advising and assisting human resources specialists when applying hazard analysis results or dealing with the capabilities and limitations of personnel.
- Staying current with technological developments, laws, regulations, standards, codes, products, methods and practices related to hazard controls.